Tuesday, June 9, 2009

mine, mine, mine...

Several things I've read lately and some thoughts today made me think of those seagulls in Finding Nemo. (Follow the link for a refresher.) So much in Christianity, especially American Protestant forms, has become so individualized. Our language, our songs, our programs... it's all about me. My savior. My God. My salvation. My walk with God. My needs. My wants. My desires. Mine, mine, mine...

While I don't think we need to, in some way, fully recover that sense of nationalistic identity of the people of Israel (though, some kind of try that by marrying faith to American patriotism... a bit more than unsettling, for me), I have felt strongly for several years now that we don't think collectively or communally nearly enough. The Kingdom of God is not about me (though it is). It's not my story (again, though it is). Why do we think so much focus is placed on the community of faith throughout the gospels and the letters? Community is essential for healthy expression of gifts and ministry, for healthy accountability, for healthy discernment, for healthy study, for healthy direction as we all partake in the journey, in Kingdom life.

Have I mastered this idea of not internalizing and/or individualizing everything down to my own situation? Of course not... I don't know of many (any?) who have really experienced or understand what it's like to truly live with their mind more slanted toward their immediate Christian community, the larger work of God in their part of the world and/or globally than their own situation and what God can/will/won't do for them personally. I remember in a Bible class not all that long ago I spent a few weeks trying to help some college students think about this. It's hard to get your head around... but it sure helps if you have a community that's willing to try to live it out and learn it together. I think that's the point.

Don't get me wrong... it's clear that God made us all unique, gifts us in various ways, and calls some to the forefront and others to less glamorous roles (see Romans 12, 1 Cor. 12, etc.). And we all have unique struggles, hurts, joys, trials, etc. But all of that is intended to be lived out, dealt with, celebrated within the community of faith. And the community of faith lives out this Kingdom life for the benefit of the world.

Here's to turning our "me" into "we" and our "mine, mine, mine" into something along the lines of "ours, ours, ours" or, better, "His, His, His."

3 comments:

  1. I like this post. And you're right, "... it sure helps if you have a community that's willing to try to live it out and learn it together." The further I tread in the world outside of college, the harder that is to find, or so it seems. I'm so ready for a "we" community because I am tired of it just being me (or of it feeling that way). Guess we just have to keep trying and fighting and struggling and stumbling through this pursuit of living out the Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, I love that I have a community around me trying to live out the Kingdom. It is easy to fall in the trap of me thinking though. One of my prayers lately is for my eyes to be set on His thinking and what He sees. I will admit that it scares me a bit to see things that God sees. Things that will break you, break yor heart, ask questions of why, I don't understalnd Lord. I will just keep on my pursuit. (noticed I used the my) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. very nice. And for the record, finding Nemo is probably one of my all time favorite movies. ;)

    ReplyDelete