Tuesday, May 5, 2009

fca...

So, I've turned in my last paper... I'd like to believe that it's the last paper I'll ever have to write, but the last few years won't allow me to give it that degree of finality. I mean, so far, I've always ended up back in school... who knows? A Ph.D could be down the road... sigh. Anyway...

Tomorrow, I'm speaking at the last FCA meeting of the school year at Lawrence County High School in Moulton, AL. The football coach there was the first coach I worked with as an assistant for two seasons in Montgomery. My twin is the guidance counselor there and I have numerous friends that are alumni. Of course, it was/is a rival school to my alma mater, Hatton High School. I'm thinking I'll be taking my letterman jacket to use as part of an illustration... should be fun. I know I'm getting older when I struggle a bit to know what's best to share with a group of high school students. I'm sure it will be a good experience regardless... even from simply getting to spend a night at my parents' home, see the nieces, one sister, my brother-in-law, and some friends I don't get to see often. And maybe God will use something I share to jog something inside a few athletes... that would be cool, too.

Hope you're all well out there... no news on the job front here, but hoping for some development soon.

2 comments:

  1. How did FCA thing go...Look forward to hanging with you soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It went well... a little rushed, but got the main idea across, I think. Started with the image of the creatures and the 24 elders and everything in heaven and on earth and under the earth worshiping Jesus (the Lamb) on the throne in Revelation and the early Christian hymn in Phil. 2 (every knee will bow and every tongue confess). Tied that to some excerpts from Matthew's Sermon on the Mount (seek first the Kingdom, Ask, Seek, Knock) and the idea that they need to bow down now. Everyone's seeking/asking/knocking after something... and they'll get whatever it is that they're after... so seek Him and things of the Kingdom. Good group of kids... and I got to hang out with the fam some and see a couple of old friends.

    Look forward to seeing you, too!

    ReplyDelete