Thursday, April 23, 2009

waiting...

It's been a few days since I've felt compelled to post. I don't have some great feeling of inspiration, but I figured I'd put down a few thoughts, anyway.

I've said in various settings that I relate to Abraham's story in many ways. One of the things I see in his story is a restlessness that echoes in my life. There were times in his journey with God when he was told to go and God would show him the place. After a time, it seems, Abraham got antsy and felt like he was supposed to be somewhere else or doing something else and, so, he took off. I wonder how his story might have been different - how God would have responded differently and how Abraham would have, in turn, responded - if he had ignored those urges to move on, to seek for something else "out there" that he felt God surely wanted him to find.

I find myself in these times of restlessness a lot... in retrospect, I wonder how things might have gone differently if I had spent more time waiting, listening, watching. Coming to another similar place, I'm trying to make that decision. But how do I know if the paths that avail themselves are paths to be taken or paths to ignore? I know from experience and from His promises that God's going to work regardless. He's going to be there about His business wherever I may find myself. But I'm going to try to wait for His peace before making another move.

2 comments:

  1. This restlessness is something that seems to be coming up a lot in conversations I've been having and even books I've been reading. And the more I think about it, the more it seems like these restless feelings don't always mean that we are supposed to be anywhere else. Maybe sometimes they just indicate our deeper awareness that there is more, and we want to be a part of that... I don't know how any of that relates to you and where you are in your life, but I think that is where I find myself right now. And one thing I know for sure-- you are right; God is going to work regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My restless little brother... I think the ache is in us all. Trite but true: This world is not my home; I'm just passing through. And the same refrain in a more contemporary selection: You can't find your place in a world that wasn't meant for you.
    What I think is that the ache is a good thing, and that part of the point of this life is to recognize it for what it is... the truth that there is a thing, an experience, a life, a love that we want that will never be found here on this earth. Your recurring restlessness, I think, just means you are more tuned in to that truth than most.
    Have I told you lately that I'm proud of you? I am. I love how open you are to God's direction, wherever it might take you.
    Don't forget that his will is pretty big. There are dozens of things you could do and places you could be that would all fit nicely inside. And like you said, his work will get done in you all the same. I love my brother!

    ReplyDelete